Sunday, May 25, 2008

Get A Life

My life outside of homeschooling...I am trying to get one...or should I get one. Our lives can be so wrapped up in serving our families that we forget who we are. Should I take a art course, go back to work full time...no I already tried that. Last year I went back to work full-time and what a disaster. I had a big, huge wake up call that I was already in the place were God wanted me to be. I worked 45 hours a week for 1 year almost to the day. I thought that if I worked then the kids could go to a Christian private school and everything would be peachy. Well things were not peachy. The kids were bored to tears, I was crazy and my husband became the cook and didn't have time to do the things he was supposed to be doing. When I say cook I mean sandwiches and egg omelette's (not to shabby). Two weeks ago I started an office job where I work 1 full day per week except for filling in for a vacation. I am so thankful that the Lord has blessed me with this job because it fulfills a need that I have for a life outside of homeschooling and brings a little extra money for our family.

Another large part of my life outside of homeschooling is in a singing ministry. Our worship team from my church meets once a week for a rich prayer time and worship practice. What joy...worshiping the Lord in song and coming together with my brothers and sisters in Christ, in one spirit...what joy.

I was just talking with a new home schooler who asked me a question. She explained that she did not want to be away from her kids but still wanted some me time. My advice to her was to make sure she joins a support group who frequently organizes events like swimming lessons for play groups. I found this the best time to talk to other moms and get adult conversation while your children are getting some group activity.

We are individuals with hopes and dreams, but I think for a home schooler our hope is for our children. For them to grow and learn in freedom.

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for joining the Canadian Home Educators Blog Carnival. Sounds like you have quite a busy life.

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

I love support groups for the adult conversation that we sometimes so desperately lack when being at home all the time :) I live in a very small community with only one other homeschooling family and I really cherish the times that we see each other or that the kids have a swim lesson or show and tell with the other kids in our HS group so that we moms can talk :)
It was nice to meet you,
Rosina
www.homeschoolblogger.com/NatureNotesFromAbove