Sunday, June 29, 2008

Not Canadian Enough

I am from Windsor, Ontario, born and raised. Yes, some would call Windsor the armpit of Canada(the most southern area in Canada). I have even heard that we are now called the sin city of Canada...Yikes. I have always found it hard to enjoy Canada Day because of the strong American influence here. We are bombarded with American news, movies and music. I sometimes feel left out of Canada. In school we learned Canadian History and Geography and even some Canadian literature but I think what was missing was a sense of being Canadian or Canadian Culture. Does Canada even have a culture? What is it to be Canadian? I know being Canadian makes me free. Something that is a great blessing and should not be taken for granted. This is what my children will learn. I appreciate Canada and it's freedom. I thank those who fought for our freedom and are still fighting to keep us safe, locally and abroad.

Canadian History and Geography curriculum can be so fun and interesting. Our local library is jamb packed with books, videos and dvds that I will not have to pay a cent for this subject. I will be putting together unit studies probably along with field trips to local historic museums. I am looking forward to this year and hope to learn about the different Canadian cultures through the array of homeschooling families from coast to coast at Canadian Carnival of Homeschoolers Blog.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to visit your blog! Isn't it great the freedom we have in homeschooling to teach what we want to teach. We've done a lot of Canadian History studies I know you will really enjoy it. I'd like to recommend The Story of Canada - it's an easy read and a great coffee table book. Donna Ward's Courage and Conquest has a great reference section. We really enjoy historical fiction as well and Pierre Burton has a really good series Adventures in Canadian History that my son Joshua (13) really enjoyed. It was great to visit you and I look forward to hearing about your studies.

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hi :)We're going to be doing a lot of Canadian history this year to! We have been using Sonlight which of course the focus is mainly American so I can't wait to dive into stuff about us *grin* We were singing O Canada today for Canada day and my favorite line is always 'the true north strong and free'. How fortunate we are to be so free here and for those who fought for it and I hope it stays that way forever :) Great entry.
Rosina
www.homeschoolblogger.com/BChsMamaof3

molytail said...

Does Canada even have a culture? What is it to be Canadian?

Sometimes I wonder the same thing - Canada is such a mishmash of everything!

We haven't done much in Canadian history - though this was just our first year hs'ing...dd11 did 5 years in ps and they didn't really do any there either...it's on the list for this year, I'm just not sure yet about what resources we'll use.