Monday, May 19, 2008

Being Taught or Learning

The word taught comes from the word teach. The word learn means to get knowledge or skill by study and experience. Traditional school settings put emphasis on teaching. But does this mean that there is learning taking place. A child can be taught or is it more important for a child to learn.

In the early years, the emphasis of learning should be on reading and comprehension. We spent most of our day reading. I read to them, they read to me, they read by themselves. Many different media were used: children's books; magazines; encyclopedias. They even wrote their own books. As they grew in reading comprehension, I incorporated self-learning curriculum. I was just informed the other day that my son attained first place in the Gauss Math Contest at school. I only say this because I want to emphasis that my two kids learned math on their own. My daughter who is also in grade 7 received honorable mention. I do not really care what grades my children get in school. This is another reason why we will be homeschooling next year. The emphasis should always be a love for learning that lasts a lifetime and not teaching that ends at the end of June and starts back up again in September.

I am often asked how I teach all the subjects that school teaches. I have not taught a thing since my kids could read on their own. My main job is to provide many resources and enthusiasm. The kids learn on their own because they enjoy it.

1 comment:

Mps830 said...

Have you tried subscribing to any magazines? They make great resources for homeschooling--the kids are entertained, while learning and if you get the right magazines, come with guides for teaching. The Cricket Magazine Group offers what they call free "Teacher's Guides" for most of thier magazines. www.cricketmag.com.