Thursday, April 17, 2008

Why Homelearning is A Wise Educational Alternative

What I have observed in the last 9 years regarding the education of my children has brought me full circle. To say that I have experience in many educational settings is an accurate statement. I have attended public school, university, community college, vocational school and have learned through correspondence. My children have similarly experienced many styles of school.

Homelearning is a wise educational alternative. Homelearning creates a love of lifelong learning. This year the kids attended a private Christian school. This is an excellent school with many wonderful people and great opportunities. However, what I have noticed is one very important thing. It is still school. When that bell rings learning is done. They have retained some of their joy for reading and learning, but nothing compared to homelearning.

There are many, many reasons why homelearning is a wise choice but nothing compares to a lifelong love for learning. A parent does not need a teaching certificate or a super high level of education. A parent only needs to be resourceful and creative.

2 comments:

molytail said...

When that bell rings learning is done.

Yep - so true. A few days back, my dd mentioned to a public-school friend of hers that she was going to be doing some stuff (school related) during the summer and y'know what this friend said? "Yuck! Why would would you want to do school stuff in the summer? That's gross!"

*sigh*

It goes to show what a difference home education can make {and how quickly} though, because my daughter - who just came OUT of ps last summer - responded to her with "Um, because it's fun!"

*grin*



and hello! I came here through the Canadian Home Educator's carnival posting on Jaqueline's blog and it's nice to meet ya! :-)

lovetohomelearn said...

Thanks molytail for your comments. It is great to meet you too. I am new to this blogging thing and hope to get to know great homeschooling people like yourself. I thank the Lord that he first showed me the joy of homelearning and he has recently brought me back.
I remember when I was a kid, all I wanted to do after school was watch tv and escape. I would have said "Yuck" too to doing "school" in the summer. Now my kids can't wait to finish "school" so they can get on with learning.

It's great to homeschool.